Thursday, July 8, 2010

My birthday garden


I celebrated my birthday this week enjoying the mid-summer flowers in the garden. With a lot of watering, everything survived the heat wave. I don't know how the folks in the South handle this heat! I guess I am a Northern gal, through and through!  

I promise- no hydrangeas this week!

One of my favorite summer flowers is the datura. Technically, it is really a brugsmania, but that's too hard to remember! They smell incredible, but only in the evening hours.
 


We caught the flowers with a visitor:

 
Our poor tomatoes on the left were eaten by the deer.






Cool closeup!

The dahlias are just beginning. (Has anyone noticed that we are about 2-3 weeks ahead of the average year?) 


We take up the dahlia tubers in the fall and store them over the winter in an area that stays around 50 degrees. I love this color...


 

This is a front yard urn of goodies. Unfortunately, the deer started feasting a few days ago on the back side of the urn.



Here is a closeup of the trailing petunia:




The Oriental lilies are in full swing.


I am hiding- no makeup on!




Succulents in a miniature pot...



Lastly, here are our pineapple lilies beginning their blooms.




Their foliage is an incredible combo of greens. We also remove these tubers from the ground in the fall. They'll be open next week.


Thank you, Cindy, at My Romantic Home
and
Jessica, for Favorite Things Friday.

7 comments:

  1. You sure have lots of beautiful flowers! We SOUTHERN gals are strong people:) Hope you have a FUN weekend!

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though I'm southern through and through, I have always told my husband that the north can grow some good lookin grass! And it feels better too!! Maybe because ours has to live with heat stroke and not enough moisturizer... Loving the dahlia's and your little green friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely gorgeous. I have a yellow trumpet flower!! They ARE incredible aren't they? Now I need to find me a pink one like yours.

    LEGEND OF MARY'S BEAN is my Friday blog.

    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful flowers. And, yes everything seemed to have burst forth together early this year. Now, it's so hot...maybe they knew it was coming.
    xx's

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your flowers. They are oh so beautiful! I hope you had a happy , happy birthday! Mona

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have garden envy! You're lilies are amazing!

    ReplyDelete